Sunday, April 25, 2010

Waiting for God's Best!!!


Some years ago, I was seeking advice from one of my Christian mentors about a relationship I was involved in. Being a godly and wise woman, she listened closely as I told her all the things I liked about the person and all the things that worried me. When I was done spilling my guts, she looked at me with the love of a mother and said gently, "Is he God's best for you?" Her question reverberated throughout the room and sat quietly on my heart for the remainder of the day. I never answered her, and I know she wasn't expecting me to. What she was expecting me to do was to do some introspection. I knew the kind of relationship I had with God. I knew that God was a good provider. Would he send me this person out of his loving kindness, or was this relationship something concocted out of fear of never meeting "Mr. Right for Me?" My mentor had forced me to take a long hard look at my motivations for being in the relationship.

Sometimes we let society determine what age we should marry, have children, and start living our dreams. But God has His own timeline--and it is certainly not based on our whining or complaining. So if you are a single person in Christ, you have to remember that God loves you and desires the very best for your life. Jesus asks a simple question in Matthew 7:9--"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?" Any loving parent's response would be "no one."

God knows how to give good gifts and give us exactly what we need. Why do we try to shortcut the process? At times in my life I have been guilty of trying to taking the shortcut route instead of waiting. But I know in my heart that the God I serve is a good and loving God who knows me better than I know myself. The only way to remedy the shortcut syndrome is to tell yourself that God wants the best for you--even if you have to keep reminding yourself daily. Don't settle for less than His best!!! Wait for Him. And if you find yourself in a situation that you are unsure about, pray. Ask yourself the same question my mentor asked me, "Is this God's best for me?" Then answer honestly. If you find that it isn't and God tells you in your heart that it isn't, walk away and trust God to love you like you need to be loved until He sends that special someone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment